This is an easy and delicious way to use the abundance of cabbage in season at the moment.
Perfect as a side dish, or eaten by themselves.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups shredded cabbage / half a smallish cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 5 spring onions
- 2 tbsp oil for frying
How to Make It
- Remove any wilted leaves from the outside of the cabbage. Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Thinly slice or shred half of the cabbage, or until you have around 5 packed cups. Peel the carrot and shred it using a large-holed cheese grater. Thinly slice the spring onions, reserving about 3 of the green heads for serving.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, soy sauce, and sesame oil until smooth. Begin whisking in the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until it forms a thick, smooth batter.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onion to the batter and stir until the vegetables are mixed and everything is evenly coated in batter.
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 3/4 cup of the vegetable and batter mixture. Press it down into the hot skillet to form a circle, about 15cm in diameter and about 1cm thick.
Place a cover on the skillet to hold in the steam, which will help the cabbage soften as it cooks. Cook the pancake until golden brown on the bottom (3-5 minutes), then flip and cook until golden brown on the second side. Pile the cooked pancakes on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm until ready to eat. Add more oil to the skillet as needed as you cook the pancakes.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining sliced spring onion, alongside some soy sauce, chilli mayo, or any other favourite condiments!
This is a great use-whatever-is-in-the-fridge recipe, that can be customised to suit whatever you have on hand.
Other vegetables that would be great in these pancakes include:
- bean sprouts
- shredded broccoli or Brussels sprouts
In addition to vegetables, you can toss all sorts of meat into your pancakes. Try:
- canned salmon
- shredded chicken
Recipe credit: Beth @ budgetbytes.com